Last Updated on February 12, 2024 9:12 am by Laszlo Szabo / NowadAIs | Published on February 12, 2024 by Laszlo Szabo / NowadAIs
5 Million EUR Funding from Google.org: Empowering Europe with AI Opportunity Initiative – Key Notes
- Launched by Google, focusing on leveraging AI for Europe’s economic and societal benefit.
- Aims to make AI accessible and beneficial across all societal sections.
- Strategic focus on empowering vulnerable communities with AI skills and training.
- Includes support for startups using AI to tackle major societal challenges.
- Expands AI education, making foundational courses available in 18 languages.
Google Aims for Education
The transformative power of Artificial Intelligence (AI) is undeniable.
Its potential to redefine industries, bolster economies, and enrich individual lives is immense.
The AI Opportunity Initiative is modeled on the belief that every individual, regardless of their background or skill level, should have the opportunity to understand, use, and benefit from AI.
It aims to equip people with the skills and knowledge needed to leverage AI, thereby fostering a more equitable and inclusive future.
The AI Opportunity Initiative: A Closer Look
The AI Opportunity Initiative is vision in Google’s pursuit of bold and responsible AI innovations.
It is an articulation of the tech giant’s commitment to ensuring that AI benefits all sections of society.
Google’s dedication to working collaboratively with EU Governments, civil society, academia, and businesses is key to landing this transformative technology safely and for everyone.
The AI Opportunity Initiative is built on the premise that AI should be developed by and made accessible to everyone.
It’s a major step towards equipping people and countries with the training and skills needed to leverage AI’s opportunities.
The initiative aims to empower Europe’s workforce, supporting individuals through change to ensure that everyone can benefit from AI.
It is built on Google’s past experience with their “Grow with Google” program from 2015, which trained over 12 million people across Europe in digital skills.
Empowering Vulnerable Communities with AI
The AI Opportunity Initiative includes a strategic focus on vulnerable communities in Europe.
Google.org, Google’s philanthropic arm, is dedicating EUR 25 million to support AI training and skills development for Europe’s people — with a particular emphasis on vulnerable and underserved communities.
The AI Opportunity Fund: Europe, in collaboration with the Centre for Public Impact, invites social enterprises and nonprofits to apply for this training.
Selected organizations will receive training on foundational AI in local languages, along with grants for critical support, such as childcare or compensation for pay, to remove barriers to learning.
Fuelling Startups with AI
The initiative also includes a new series of Google for Startups Growth Academies across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
These academies aim to support startups using AI to address society’s biggest challenges, in areas such as health, education, and cybersecurity.
Democratizing AI Education
As part of the AI Opportunity Initiative, Google is expanding its AI foundational courses to 18 languages.
These courses, available free of charge, offer a series of modules on introductory AI skills to help individuals and businesses acquire practical skills and knowledge.
Applying for the AI Opportunity Fund
Nonprofit and public interest organizations or social enterprises registered in any of the EU-27 member countries can apply for the AI Opportunity Fund.
These organizations should have a mission to support workers as part of their core activities and a proven track record of reaching and running programs for workers from underserved communities.
For more information about the AI Opportunity Initiative, including details about how to apply and eligibility criteria, interested organizations can register their interest on the Centre for Public Impact’s website. The application process will open later this year.
Partnering with the Centre for Public Impact
The AI Opportunity Initiative is being implemented in partnership with the Centre for Public Impact, a global not-for-profit that supports governments, philanthropy, civil society, and communities to reimagine government so it works for everyone.
The AI Opportunity Initiative is an exciting step forward in harnessing the power of AI for the benefit of all.
Whether you’re a startup looking to leverage AI to solve societal challenges, a nonprofit aiming to equip vulnerable communities with AI skills, or an individual keen to learn more about AI, this initiative offers a wealth of opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the AI Opportunity Initiative?
- It’s a Google-led initiative aiming to leverage AI’s potential for Europe’s economic and societal benefit, making AI accessible to all.
- What is the goal of the AI Opportunity Initiative?
- To equip people with the skills to leverage AI, fostering a more equitable and inclusive future.
- How does the AI Opportunity Initiative support startups?
- Through Google for Startups Growth Academies, it aids startups using AI in health, education, and cybersecurity.
- What training does the AI Opportunity Initiative offer?
- Offers AI foundational courses in 18 languages, focusing on practical skills and knowledge in AI.
- Can nonprofits apply for the AI Opportunity Initiative?
- Yes, nonprofits and social enterprises in EU-27 member countries focusing on worker support can apply for the AI Opportunity Fund.
- How is Google’s philanthropic arm Google.org involved in the AI Opportunity Initiative?
- Google.org is dedicating EUR 25 million to support AI training and skills development, particularly for vulnerable and underserved communities.
- How can organizations apply for the AI Opportunity Fund?
- Organizations can apply through the Centre for Public Impact’s website, with a focus on supporting workers from underserved communities.